RFID LIBRARY – Ensure smooth processes with our solutions
RFID is the latest technology used in libraries. Unlike the traditional tools used in libraries so far, RFID-based systems offer more security and efficiency. Tracking of materials, including easier and faster check-ins and check-outs, inventory and material handling, is optimized through the use of RFID. Thanks to RFID technology, all materials can be handled without exceptions: Even CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays can be marked and identified. Learn more about the innovative technology in libraries and get to know our products.
Application areas of RFID in libraries
Self check-out: Thanks to RFID technology, a switch from staff to self-checkout is made possible. By using RFID self-checkout systems, visitors can check out their own books and other media such as CDs and DVDs quickly and cost-effectively, resulting in less waiting time and reduced staffing. In addition to speeding up processes, automation of inventory entry and search is made possible.
Return machines: Automated media return machines are set up in the entrance or outside areas of libraries so that books and CDs/DVDs can also be returned outside opening hours. Sorting systems in the background of the return machines facilitate everyday, recurring tasks for the staff and ensure greater efficiency in library workflows.
Stack booking: Another area of application for RFID in libraries is the possibility of stack booking. This means that several media can be placed on the reading plate of the terminal at the same time, i.e. in a stack, thus saving time. Another advantage is that the media do not have to be placed in a specific position on the reading plate, which significantly simplifies use.
Control, inventory and search: For quick and easy inventory and control of media as well as for media search, we offer powerful handheld computers. This facilitates the search process for lost or incorrectly sorted media and ensures more efficient work.
Lending service desk: In libraries, there is usually a service desk for borrowing and returning media. RFID technology can also be used for this area to support the staff.
Advantages of RFID technology in libraries
The most important benefits of using RFID technology in libraries are:
- As part of the inventory, books and other media can be recorded as quickly as possible. Media that are not filed in the correct order are also quickly detected and recorded by RFID computer. Non-contact scanning of books on shelves is performed by a handheld inventory reader
- Fast check-ins/check-outs with fast reading speed and automatic book removal even of multiple books at the same time
- RFID technology offers nearly 100 percent detection rate
- There is no false alarm once an RFID system is properly configured
- Theft detection through a wide reading capability of RFID devices with extra wide exits. The corridors at the building exits can be up to 1 meter wide
- The RFID tags are characterized by a long life and high reliability
RFID in Libraries: Product Areas
iDTRONIC offers a wide range of products designed for RFID-based library systems.